Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Student-Teaching: Reality 101

It's started!  I've begun my first semester of coursework and student-teaching.  I expected the classes to go at lightening speed and, of course, was already behind in my first week.  What I didn't anticipate was how REAL student-teaching would be.  I met students I only read about.  They were dealing with issues of broken families, parent abandonment, death, drugs and probably more I didn't know about yet.  How does a teacher teach the modern atomic theory when there parents a divorcing and they don't know where they are going to live????  Really?  How does a teacher do that? 

One of my students was falling asleep during a test. "You have to wake up, there's no sleeping in class" I nudged the student.  Later I found out he was in heroine rehab.  "WHAT?," I stuttered.  My master teacher said we're just glad he's here because when he's here, he's not doing drugs.  Geez!  How am I supposed to deal with that? 

You know it's not the teaching part that is the hard part it's the trying to teach when LIFE is going on.  My first month of student teaching was hard with tears and staring at the ceiling before bed.  I really am blessed. Of course, I've been successful!  I haven't had the distractions that these kids have.  ....my heart aches for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment